Learn The Facts:
yOUTH SUICIDE STATISTICS:
-Each year 44,000 Americans die from suicide. (That number has been climbing since the year 2000.)
-Over 3,000 suicide attempts per day.
-Suicide rates for the state of Utah are almost double the national average.
-Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for young people in the U.S. ages 10-24.
-White males account for 7 out of 10 suicides.
-But females attempt suicide 3 times more often than males.
-Suicide rate for girls between the ages of 10-14 has tripled over the last 15 years.
-And 4 out of 5 teens who attempt suicide show clear warning signs.
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves
- Looking for a way to kill themselves
- Searching online or buying a gun (50% of attempts)
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves
- Visiting or calling or texting people to say goodbye
- Giving away prized possessions
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Extreme mood swings
Statistics quoted from: